Apple Configurator 2 is a great tool to manage iOS devices. It’s also a pretty decent tool when you need to create profiles for use on Macs. Apple Configurator is easily installed using the Mac App Store. This involves a number of tasks:
- Restore: Restore an operating system to an iOS device
- Duplicate: Similar to imaging (but not), restore various options on a device so it is similar to a previous device. There are limitations to this feature as any data stored in the secure enclave will not be duplicated
- Application Assignment: Install apps on devices with or without an MDM solution to manage the devices
- Supervise: Enable supervised mode on the devices so that you can prove ownership and therefore unlock additional restrictions on devices
- Manage: Deploy profiles on devices to control the features used on devices and automate configuration
However you plan on using Apple Configurator, the first step to use the product is to download it for free and install it on an OS X computer. To install Apple Configurator, first open the App Store and search for Apple Configurator.
When listed, click on Apple Configurator.
Then click on Get, then click on Install App. If prompted for your Apple ID, provide it.
This downloads Apple Configurator to the /Applications directory on your computer. Once installed, you can still use Apple Configurator, if you were using it before. The two apps will appear in the Finder, with Apple Configurator 1 showing as Apple Configurator and Apple Configurator 2 appearing as Apple Configurator 2. When you initially open Apple Configurator 2, if you had been running Apple Configurator 1, you’ll be prompted to migrate your data into Apple Configurator 2. I’ve done a series of articles at http://krypted.com/guides/apple-configurator/
to help guide you through the process of getting comfortable with Apple Configurator and Apple Configurator 2. Good luck!
krypted November 2nd, 2015
Posted In: Apple Configurator
Apple, Apple Configurator 2, imaging iOS, imaging iPads, iPhone, MAC, Mac OS X, Supervise Devices