(Guest Post by Allister Banks)
As Venn diagram circles go, many folks in our community are getting into autopkg
, and there’s even more that already use the JAMF Casper Suite. Over on the 318.com blog
there’s an announcement for a new ‘processor’ add-on that can be installed with autopkg, that therefore can leverage the JSS API to fulfill many of the functions which up until present only Munki enjoyed. Please do read the release notes
and give it a try!
Charles January 6th, 2014
Posted In: Mac OS X, Mass Deployment
autopkg, Casper, casper suite, JAMF, JSS, Munki, Patch Management, Software Distribution, venn diagram
I recently needed to restart tomcat on a JSS (my fault not theirs). Because I had other processes running on the same box, I used the jssutil command to restart the tomcat service, using jssutil along with the rt verb:
Turned out I had screwed things up a little more than all that so tomcat didn’t come back on its own, to get the service to kick back on, use the same command along with the startTomcat verb:
krypted September 13th, 2013
Posted In: Mac OS X, Mass Deployment
casper suite, JAMF, jssutil, restart tomcat, startTomcat
Enrolling iPads into the JAMF Casper MDM solution is done through Apple Configurator, messages or using links deployed to iOS devices as web clips. When doing larger deployments the enrollment process can be automated so that devices are automatically enrolled into Casper MDM when they are set up using an Enrollment Profile that is manually downloaded from Casper and deployed to device. Additionally, a certificate can be needed if the certificate is not included in the profile, an option available as a checkbox in the setup. While you hopefully won’t need to download the certificate, we’ll start there:
Obtain the Certificate for the JSS Server
To obtain the trust certificate from the JSS Server:
Download the Enrollment Profile
- Open the web interface for the JSS.
- When prompted to trust the certificate, click on the disclosure triangle and then the checkbox to trust the cert, providing the administrative credentials when prompted.
- Open Keychain Utility.
- Click in the search field.
- Search for JSS.
- Control-click on the name of your server’s “Built-in Certificate Authority” entry.
- Choose the option to Export.
- When prompted, provide a name for the certificate in the Save As fiel.
- Choose a location to save the certificate to using the Where field.
- The .cer format is sufficient for our purposes.
- Click Save.
To download an enrollment profile from Casper MDM:
- Log into the web interface of the JSS.
- Click on the link for Mobile Device Enrollment
- At the Mobile Device Enrollment Invitations screen, click on the Enrollment Profiles tab.
- At the Enrollment Profiles screen, click on Download for the appropriate profile (for most environments there should only be one)
- Once the profile is downloaded, it will automatically attempt to enroll the computer you are downloading it from in the Profiles System Preferences pane.
- Click on Cancel.
- Click on the downloads link in Safari.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon to see the .mobileconfig file.
You have now downloaded the .mobileconfig file that will enroll devices into Casper MDM.
Add the Profile To Apple Configurator:
To deploy the profile through Apple Configurator:
Deploy The Casper MDM Enrollment Profile Through Apple Configurator
- Open Apple Configurator on the client computer.
- Click on Prepare in the row of icons along the top of the screen.
- Drag the profile (by default currently called MDM-iOS5.mobileconfig) from the Finder into the list of Profiles.
- The profile then appears in Apple Configurator (in this example, called MDM-iOS5).
Once the profile is installed in Apple Configurator, let’s deploy it. In this example, don’t configure any other options. To deploy:
- Set the name to be blank, numbering should be disabled, Supervision should be off, iOS should be set to No Change, “Erase before installing” should be unchecked, Don’t Restore Backup should be set in the Restore field.
- Check the box for the newly added profile (MDM-iOS5 in this example).
- Click on the Prepare button.
- At the “Are you sure you want to apply these settings to all USB-connected devices?” screen, click on the Apply button.
- The subsequent screen shows when devices are being configured. Here, dock the device to receive the profile (note, all docked iOS devices are going to be configured with this profile).
- Once the device is connected, the profile will begin to install. You are then prompted to “Tap device to install profile”.
- On the device, tap on the Install button.
- At the Warning screen, tap Install.
- Once the Profile is installed, tap Done.
- You have now been enrolled.
If you then wish to unenroll, simply remove the profiles by tapping on profiles and then tapping on the Remove button. Per the MDM API, a user can elect to remove their device from management at any point, so expect this will happen occasionally, even if only by accident.
krypted August 8th, 2012
Posted In: iPhone, Mass Deployment
Apple Configurator, automate enrollment, CA, Casper, casper suite, enroll, export certificate, iPad, iPhone, ipod touch, JAMF, JSS, keychain utility, mass enrollment, mdm, mobile device management, trust